MCIOB Opportunity – CMP or PR Route
MCIOB Opportunity Through Live Online Programme
Study that Fits your Schedule
Becoming a Member of the Chartered Institute of Building is a proud moment in a construction professional’s career. Having the letters MCIOB after your name shows potential clients and employers that you’re a hard worker and high achiever. Additionally, an MCIOB can get involved in the Professional Review Management Board, receive invitations to high-profile meetings and even get certain discounts. Above all, being an MCIOB shows you have profound experience and knowledge in construction with commitment to the industry.
There are various routes to becoming an official MCIOB. This route is for those who have at least 5 years of management experience in construction but don’t have a high enough qualification (a Level 7 NVQ, for example). The College of Contract Management is accredited with the CIOB and our CMP course, together with our Professional Review guidance, will qualify you to become a fully-fledged MCIOB.
The course will provide you with knowledge and skills that you can then take forward with you into your flourishing management career.
Working full-time is non-negotiable to most of us, therefore studying online allows you to maintain your job and income. We hold all of our lectures live online at weekends and record them so that you can catch up later. Above all, you will be able to do all of your lectures, resources and assessments from the comfort of your home. This cuts out travel time and cost and is also sustainable alongside any commitments you may have that make leaving home impractical, such as childcare. Getting your CMP online is particularly helpful for overseas students and saves the cost and inconvenience of getting a Visa.
- A complete, supported route to becoming an MCIOB.
- A structured learning programme approved by the CIOB.
- The CMP provides you with life-long, transferable skills in management.
- You’ll be assessed through practical project scenarios in order to demonstrate what you’ve learned. These are open-book exams, so you will be tested on your knowledge and skills instead of your memory.
- Access to the College’s virtual study platform, Moodle, that will organise your course for you.
- Lessons taught by experienced lecturers who currently teach at real British universities.
- Live online lectures bring the interactive benefits of a classroom to you.
- A flexible lecture timetable that won’t impact your work or family life.
- Support from our UK office.
- Guidance and support with your Professional Review in order to help you jump the last hurdle to becoming an MCIOB.
A minimum of 5 years’ management experience in construction. However, the following candidates can also be considered:
- Candidates with a wide range of technical and specialist professional knowledge from working in the construction industry.
- Candidates who have completed the CIOB Site Management Programme (forms a progression route).
If you are unsure about your eligibility for the CMP course then email your updated CV to: email@example.com
The course is made up of 4 modules. Each module covers various specific subjects using live online tutorials in order to evaluate your progress.
The modules and their subjects are:
- Ground Engineering Techniques and Substructure Technology
- Design and Installation of Building Services
- Superstructure for Commercial and Multi-Storey Buildings
- Principles Relating to Work on Existing Structures and Fabric
- Design Process in Relation to the Built Environment
- Process Management
- Resource Management
- Planning and Scheduling
- Performance Management
Contract and Commercial Practice
- Construction Law
- Construction Cost Management
- Pre and Post Contract Administration
- Commercial Risks Management
- Construction Procurement
- Construction Dispute Resolution
Health, Safety and Environment
- Legal Framework of Health and Safety
- Health and Safety Environmental Risks
- Substantial Development and Legislation to the Built Environment
- Environmental Problems and Solutions
- Environmental Concepts, Strategies and Policies Formation
Period of Study
The course is a 9-month programme. Each module will be taught over 10 weeks, therefore in total the 4 modules will take 40 weeks to complete.
We do require you to complete assessments in order to pass the CMP. Revisions or re-submissions of any unsatisfactory work will be allowed within the deadline set, which we will allocate for an additional period at the end of each semester.
The College provides live online lectures and revision sessions for each module. In addition, each student is required to carry out independent study on the subject. The course will give you a clear understanding of the fundamental knowledge needed in each subject to then excel in construction management.
Method of Delivery
- This is a Level 6 live online course. As it is online, you can thus take it from wherever you are in the world.
- The course content will be delivered through Moodle. This includes your live online lectures, learning resources, timetable and messages.
- We schedule all live online lectures at weekends in order to help you follow the course while continuing to work.
- If you have missed any lectures, you can watch them later from the recordings which will be available on Moodle.
- Our lectures are delivered by first-class British lecturers from UK universities.
- Our Course Administrators will be available to help you with additional information about course materials, submissions queries or technical difficulties.
- You can interact with fellow students on your course, add them as friends on Moodle and also send them messages. This gives you a classroom environment and thereby improves your learning experience.
The tutorials are directly related to your course content and learning outcomes. Submission of assessments and attendance of tutorials will help you to learn and ultimately to pass your MCIOB.
To apply for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your most recent CV including your education history and work experience. Our Programme Coordinator will then assess your experience and advise you on your eligibility for the course within three working days.
The registration fee for CIOB membership is £52.00 and the annual subscription fee is £37. These must both be paid to the CIOB directly. All candidates must have membership before starting the Chartered Membership Programme. After you have paid the fees, we will send you your login details to access the CMP virtual learning platform (Moodle).
Total course fee £ 1,439
You may choose a monthly direct debit payment plan.
The monthly payment will be £221 for 8 consecutive months.
However, paying in full does offer a discounted rate compared to the total fee on the 8-month payment plan.
There are various fees payable throughout the duration of the CMP, the CIOB Registration, the Exam and the Professional Review to both College of Contract Management and CIOB directly. The table below illustrates what fees are due, when and who they are payable to.
|PROCESS||FEE||PAYABLE TO||DUE DATE|
|Course Enrolment||£1,439/£221||College||On enrolment|
|CMP Registration||£52||CIOB||On enrolment|
|CIOB Employed Student Membership||£37||CIOB||On enrolment|
|Exam Fee||£362||CIOB||Oct 2019 (TBC)|
|Professional Review||£480||College||Jan 2020 (TBC)|
The start dates of the course are 25th January and 7th September of each year.
The examination is part of the CMP route to becoming an MCIOB. There is one exam which will be held in either June or November, depending on your start date. It is an Open Book exam, consequently you can work at home using all available resources. As a member of the CIOB, you will also have access to their own Moodle, therefore making it possible to receive and answer exam questions through this.
The fee for the exam is £362 and you must pay this directly to the CIOB. 4 weeks before the exam takes place. We will then issue you your results in September (for the June test) or January (for the November test).
Upon successful completion of your Chartered Membership Programme, you will then be qualified to progress to your Professional Review application.
Professional Review Coaching Service
The Professional Review is the final part of your application to become an MCIOB. You will be required to submit a competency report, job description, action plan, presentation, company organisation chart, CV and finally a CPD record. As a CIOB approved provider of the CMP, the College of Contract Management offers a complete coaching service including advice and support for the completion of your Professional Review application. We also provide an initial assessment of your submission, which is undertaken by our CIOB recognised assessors.
We work with more than 100 PR candidates every year. To date, all of our candidates have passed the PR and subsequently become MCIOB. This therefore gives us a 100% pass rate for our Professional Review Coaching Service.
The fee for the Professional Review Coaching Service is £750, this includes the £310 CIOB fee for your Professional Review application.