ICE Professional Review Coaching
Introduction to ICE Professional Review
The ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers) offers a range of different memberships. For those wishing to become CEng MICE or IEng MICE, the ICE Professional Review is the final stage in the application process. There are three different types of Professional Review. These types are the Chartered Professional Review (CPR), Member Professional Review (MPR) and the Chartered Professional Review Progressive (CPRP).
The CPR is for those wishing to obtain CEng MICE as a Chartered Engineer. The MPR is for those wishing to become MICE or IEng MICE as an Incorporated Engineer registered with the Engineering Council. Finally, the CPRP is for those already IEng MICE who want to become CEng MICE. We have developed a coaching service that will help guide individuals through the process of obtaining membership and is for those who are taking any of the above said Professional Review. In addition, the coaching service is delivered by ICE recognised reviewers who are experts in the field. These coaches will prepare you for the ICE Professional Review Process and ensure you feel confident at every stage.
You can directly apply for the ICE Professional Review with the ICE; however, our coaching service will give you the confidence to perform well and avoid any pitfalls during the final assessments. We also provide coaching for CIOB Professional Review and RICS APC for the candidates who wish to become a Chartered Member of these institutions. Moreover, we are highly experienced in providing coaching services. In addition, we have a high success rate.
ICE Professional Review Process
The ICE Professional Review follows this process (source ICE Professional Review Guidance Version 2):
- An initial application
- Support from three sponsors
- Your Professional Review submission:
The Professional Review Report including:
- Signed cover page
- Table of contents
- A two-page CV
- Main body of report
- Appendices (12 sides A4, 3 sides A3)
- CPD Records
4. Your Professional Review Interview Process:
- Written Exercise
What Qualifications Do You Need to Become CEng MICE?
If you have one of the following, you already have the qualifications for CEng:
- An accredited four-year integrated MEng degree
- A bachelor’s degree (accredited as CEng with further learning) plus an accredited master’s degree
(Accredited by JBM)
What Qualifications Do You Need to Become IEng MICE?
An accredited bachelor’s degree.
(Accredited by JBM)
If you are not sure about your eligibility, please confirm with the ICE directly. You can find the contact details of the ICE regional office on their website.
Moreover, you must confirm your eligibility for the Professional Review with ICE directly before you enrol on our coaching service.
What is IPD?
Before you start your application for your membership grade, you need to have obtained Initial Professional Development (IPD). When determining whether your IPD is sufficient for membership, they measure it against the three stages of attributes: Knowledge, Experience and Ability. You can obtain IPD by taking an ICE Training Scheme, Mentor-supported training or Career Appraisal. Please confirm with ICE that your IPD is sufficient before you can take the Professional Review.
How Many CPD Hours Do You Need?
Individuals are required to submit a minimum of 30 CPD hours a year as a member of ICE, but there are some requirements for CPD hours you have to have already obtained. For those applying for MPR, you have to have completed 90 hours of effective learning. In addition, those who are applying to CPR and CPRP, you have to have 180 hours. (source www.ice.org.uk)
You can read more about CPD hours here: https://www.ice.org.uk/my-ice/membership-documents/continuing-professional-development-guidance
Our ICE Professional Review Coaching Process
Induction Meeting and Sponsor Support
You will be invited to the induction meeting following enrolment. This will give you an overview of the ICE Professional Review process. In addition, you will be briefed on how we will coach you through this process. Additionally, you will be informed about obtaining a lead sponsor for 1 of 3 of the sponsors you need to obtain.
Course on ICE Attributes for Chartered Professional Review
You will be invited to attend 20 hours of courses which you will be able to claim as formal CPD hours towards CPD requirements.
18 of these hours will cover all 9 different attribute groups which are required to be demonstrated in the Professional Review. For those completing Chartered Professional Review (CPR), you must demonstrate all of the attributes within the groups. On the other hand, for those who are only completing the Members Professional Review (MPR), there are fewer attributes within the 9 attribute groups that have to be demonstrated. In addition, those taking the Chartered Professional Review Progressive (CPRP) will also have a limited number of attributes that they have to demonstrate.
The remaining 2 hours will be a lecture on how to write the report and CV as well as other requirements. Our coach will work with you closely to determine which attributes you need to include in your report.
Review of Your Submissions
Throughout the course on ICE attributes, you can start to write your report. When we complete the sessions, your report must be fully completed. We will comprehensively review your report to check whether it meets the required standard of ICE. We will concentrate predominately on the main body of the report and the appendices. Our review will help you to improve the report to ensure that you meet the required attributes for your chosen level of membership.
Once our coaches have reviewed your report, the feedback will state how you should improve it. After you have taken on board the feedback, and your report is satisfactory you may submit your report to ICE.
Preparation for Your Interview Process:
The next stage in our coaching service is to prepare you for the interview process. There is three stages to the ICE interview: a presentation, an interview, and a written exercise. Our coaching process will help you to prepare for all stages.
Preparation of Presentation
In the ICE Professional Review interview, you will have to present a 15-minute presentation on some of the attributes outlined in your review. Therefore, our coaching service will help you to improve this presentation and boost your confidence for the real thing.
To help you prepare for the interview with the ICE reviewers, we will ask you to take part in a mock interview. Your coach will conduct this through live online sessions. This will involve questions and answers. The mock interview will have a similar format to the real interview to give you the confidence for performing the interview successfully. Your coach will ask you questions in which you need to respond with effective answers. You will be asked to expand upon particular areas of your report. This is to ensure that you are competent in all the attributes required.
At the end of the mock interview, our coach will provide feedback to help you to improve your level of skill before taking the real interview. We provide two mock interviews in this process.
Supported Written Exercise
The final stage of the ICE interview process is the written exercise. As soon as your coach has completed the mock interviews with you, you will be asked to take part in a practice written exercise to prepare for the formal assessment. Our coach will ask you two questions and you must answer one. The questions will be based on your report and what you have experience in. While the coach is monitoring your screen, you will carry out the written exercise. You will have two hours to complete it. Once completed you need to submit to the coach, they will get back to you with feedback.
We do not guarantee that our coaches’ feedback and opinions will be the same feedback and opinions the ICE reviewers have, but our aim is to help you to do as well as you possibly can and create a high ICE Professional Review pass rate.
- We will give you access to our Moodle where you can find the recording of live lectures, lecture slides and other reading materials if provided.
- You will receive a lead sponsor support if you wish, to be a part of your 3 required sponsors.
- You will receive live online lectures. Your dedicated course administrator will assist you with the necessary information to follow the coaching.
- Additionally, you will obtain a certificate to claim 20 formal CPD hours from the attributes course.
- Those who are taking Chartered Professional Review (CPR) will have to receive all of the coaching. This includes all of the course sessions on ICE attributes as they must demonstrate all attributes in their CPR. The total fee for our coaching service is £972. Our fee does not include any cost for the ICE registration or subscriptions.Pay Monthly: an upfront fee of £350 and a monthly direct debit of £136 for 6 consecutive months (Month 1 – Month 6, inclusive).However, those who are taking the Members Professional Review (MPR) will not have to demonstrate as many in the attribute groups. This is also the case for the Chartered Professional Review Progressive (CPRP). CPRP candidates would have already demonstrated attributes when they became IEng and only have to demonstrate the additional attributes. (source: Professional Review Guidance Version 2) Therefore, those who are taking the MPR or the CPRP will have a reduced coaching fee. Please contact us to confirm.
- Our coaching period will take 6 months in total. However, the period will depend on how fast you can complete your application including the report. We will usually complete our lectures within 10 weeks. You can join the coaching immediately so that you can refer to our recorded lectures prior to your live coaching sessions. We schedule our intakes in order to meet the ICE schedule.Please contact the ICE directly to confirm your region’s Professional Review Schedule.